What is public policy?
Vision Australia’s public policies aim to eliminate barriers and shift community thinking so that people who are blind or have low vision are able to live the life they choose.
Vision Australia makes public comment on many current issues under debate and proactively develops and promotes public policy to ensure that there is a clear understanding of the needs of the blindness and low vision community.
Our public policies are regularly referenced by decision makers across government, business and civil society. Vision Australia also works to disseminate our public policies to relevant of stakeholders.
Our primary objective is to minimise the barriers that people who are blind or who have low vision regularly experience when accessing the community and in exercising their rights as citizens.
Our public policies are updated every three years to ensure that our voice is deliberate, robust, clear and supported by feedback from our clients.
To find out more, you can read Vision Australia's protocol for developing public policy (Word, 57KB)
Vision Australia's position statements
Our position statements outline our position and reflect current research and consultation with clients, expert staff and other key stakeholders.
See the links below to download our position statements:
- Audio description position statement (Word, 65KB)
- Braille position statement (Word, 66KB)
- Driving with significant vision loss statement (Word, 71KB)
- Education position statement (Word, 70KB)
- Employment position statement (Word, 63KB)
- Mobility parking schemes position statement (Word, 67KB)
- Taxi services position statement (Word, 66KB)
Vision Australia Smart phone Report August 2020 (Word, 140KB)
Vision Australia regularly comments on government inquiries. Below are some of our more recent submissions.
- Vision Australia Disability Standards for Education Review Submission 2020 (Word, 91KB)
- Vision Australia Emergency Response and Planning Submission 2020 (Word, 86KB)
- Vision Australia Response to the DRC issues paper - Employment (Word, 124KB)
- Vision Australia Support Coordination Submission (Word, 140KB)
- Vision Australia 2020 submission to NSW Transport and Customer Service Committee Operation of the Point to Point Transport (Taxis and Hire Vehicles) Act 2016 (Word, 89KB)
- Vision Australia 2020 Submission to Review of NSW Disability Inclusion Act (Word, 80KB)
- Vision Australia 2020 Submission Victorian Disability Worker Regulation Scheme (Word, 82KB)
- Vision Australia 2019 submission to NSW Government Electric Buses Inquiry (Word, 75KB)
- Vision Australia 2019 submission to Disability Royal Commission - Education (PDF, 2MB)
- Vision Australia 2019 submission to National Transport Commission (Word, 75KB)
- Vision Australia submission in response to the Commonwealth ICT Procurement Framework (Word 83KB)
- Vision Australia submission in response to the forthcoming deliberative forum for young adults: Staying on Track (Word 88KB)
- Vision Australia submission on proposed regulations to the Commercial Passenger Vehicle Bill 2017 (Word 80KB)
- Vision Australia submission in response to Queensland Rail's request for temporary exemptions under the DDA Act (Word 65KB)
- Vision Australia Submission in response to the Inquiry into the 2016 ACT Election June 2017 (Word 85KB)
- Vision Australia Submission in Response to The Whole Journey May 2017 (Word 176KB)
Contact the Government Relations and Policy team
If you would like to discuss any of these policies with our policy advisors or obtain an alternate format copy, please contact 1300 84 74 66 or email email@example.com