The Vision Australia Library opens up a world of information to people who are blind, have low vision, or a print disability.
Library update and FAQs
Library update: what's happening?
The Vision Australia Library service has been upgraded.
The library i-access website has moved, when you login to i-access now you will be taken to the new page. The updated VA Connect App was released on October 12th, you will need to update your app to access the library service on a phone or tablet. Kiosks will have been automatically updated. Downloader users will need to download the Kiosk software, and can visit the user guides page or contact the library team for assistance on downloading or accessing their content using the Kiosk.
These changes provide members with a better user experience.
We are continuing to increase our range of available content so you can access the titles you want in accessible formats.
We are providing extensive supports to help all members to access the upgraded library service. For assistance please contact the library via email: email@example.com or by calling the friendly library team on 1300 654 656.
How do library members benefit from these changes?
Features and upgrades:
- Website: a new library website. Simple up to date interface with new features.
- i-access Downloader: updated Kiosk is replacing i-Access Downloader. Newer software which will mean fewer technical issues and better support.
- Kiosk: flexibility to determine what content is downloaded and returned. Access to subscriptions for newspapers, magazines and podcasts.
- VA Connect App: all content in one bookshelf and many new improvements.
- Other Devices: no change.
Do you use the VA Connect App on your phone or tablet?
Updates to the VA Connect App were released in October. You can find out about the updated VA Connect App, how to use it and answers to members' questions about the App on our recorded webinar. If you haven't updated already find steps to update your App below.
How do I update the App?
- From the Play Store Home screen, tap the Menu icon (upper-left).
- Tap My apps & games.
- Tap individual installed apps to update or tap Update All to download all available updates.
- If presented, review App Permissions then tap Accept to proceed with the app update.
For iPhone or iPad:
- Open the App Store, then tap Today at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap your profile icon at the top of the screen.
- Scroll down to see pending updates and release notes. Tap Update next to an app to update only that app, or tap Update All.
I am using the VA Connect 2 App. What does this mean for me?
Please continue to use the VA Connect 2 App there are no changes at this time.
Library update frequently asked questions
- What do existing library members have to do?
- Can borrowers use their current login to access the new service?
- What if I can’t recall my username or password?
- Will the daily download limit of books change?
- What happens if you had more than 20 titles on your bookshelf when you access the new Library service for the first time?
- What’s happening with newspapers and magazines?
- I used to read my newspapers from the i-access website, is this still possible on the new library website?
- I had items in ‘My Wishlist’ and/or in “My Requests”. Have they been kept through the move and where can I find these items on the new library website?
- What is the Bookshare Library?
- How much will the Bookshare Library membership cost?
- Will library members who do not wish to join the Bookshare Library still be able to access the Vision Australia Library?
- What is DAISY Text?
- What if I have a question?
- Are you experiencing battery drain or overheating on your iPhone?
What do existing library members have to do?
An update to the VA Connect App was released on October 12th you will need to update the App to access the library service on a phone or tablet.
All DAISY players automatically received a software update so the user won’t need to do anything.
Kiosk users, Kiosk software has automatically updated.
Downloader users will need to download the Kiosk software, instructions to do this have been sent to your bookshelf.
If you need additional support please call our Library team on 1300 654 656 and or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Can borrowers use their current login to access the new service?
You will be able to use your current membership number and password to log in. If you are an app user, you will have to log in to the new app when you first use it.
What if I can’t recall my username or password?
If you have forgotten your login details – username and/or password please contact the library team on 1300 654 656 or email email@example.com.
Will the daily download limit of books change?
Yes, you now have an increased daily download maximum limit of 20 which is also the maximum number of books you can have on your bookshelf.
What happens if you had more than 20 titles on your bookshelf when you access the new Library service for the first time?
If you had more than 20 titles on loan, when you access the new service the extra books can be found on your Request List.
When you return the books from your Bookshelf the books on your Request List will be automatically allocated to your Bookshelf.
This doesn’t include periodicals, there are no limits to subscriptions.
What’s happening with newspapers and magazines?
Newspapers and magazines will be known as periodicals in the Vision Australia Library service. Current subscriptions will remain in place. This includes sporting fixtures and the Braille new titles list.
Library members can only download periodicals available in the Vision Australia Library collection, Bookshare library periodicals will not be available to Vision Australia Library members.
I used to read my newspapers from the i-access website, is this still possible on the new library website?
No, you will need to download the newspapers to your computer and use DAISY software to read them or copy the newspaper file to a DAISY player to read them. If you wish to do this you can use the i-access Kiosk software and select “Download to PC” options. The files will download to a folder on your desktop called “i-access Content”.
I had items in ‘My Wishlist’ and/or in “My Requests”. Have they been kept through the move and where can I find these items on the new library website?
Any items that were in your ‘My Wishlist’ or ‘My Request List’ can be found in the ‘Request List’ in the My Library section of the new website.
What is the Bookshare Library?
As part of the upgrades, Vision Australia Library members also have the opportunity to become a Bookshare library subscriber. The Bookshare library has a large catalogue of educational and technical books, as well as a growing list of books for leisure reading. The titles are in synthetic voice, DAISY Text and electronic Braille formats and will be available only if you wish to become a paid Bookshare member.
How much will the Bookshare Library membership cost?
If you choose to also join the Bookshare library, Vision Australia will pay for your Bookshare membership fee for the first 12 months. If you decide to renew your membership after the first 12 months, you will have to pay the ongoing fee.
This is a special membership rate of US$30.00 (AU$45.00 approx.) per year. If you are an NDIS participant, this cost may be claimed under your consumables budget, however, you should ask your package account manager to confirm.
To join the Bookshare library, you must provide a written document stating proof of disability, signed by one of the following certifying professionals: Doctor, ophthalmologist, optometrist, neurologist, learning disability specialist, psychologist with a background in disabilities, social worker, and education Disability Student Services staff. This document must be posted or emailed to the Library and will be stored in the member's client record.
Will library members who do not wish to join the Bookshare Library still be able to access the Vision Australia Library?
Yes! Regardless of whether you choose to add a paid subscription to the Bookshare library, you can continue to access the fee-free Vision Australia Library.
What is DAISY Text?
DAISY Text books have no audio recording, but provide the text of the book itself. These books are read with either text-to-speech systems or Braille displays. They will not play as audio books on a DAISY player.
What if I have a question?
For questions relating to the upgraded Library service or any general library info, contact Vision Australia Library on 1300 654 656 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are you experiencing battery drain or overheating on your iPhone?
This has been reported by some users of the iPhone SE2020 but may also occur with older iPhones. Vision Australia is working with the VA Connect App developer to address the issue. In the meantime we suggest that you call our library team on 1300 654 656 and they may be able to assist you with some options to reduce the drain on your battery.