On this page

What is My Aged Care?

My Aged Care helps older Australians find support to continue living independently. The initiative is available to any Australian resident over the age of 65. It's also available to those over the age of 50 if you identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander.

Vision Australia and My Aged Care

Vision Australia is an approved provider and can support you to navigate My Aged Care. We have provided links to My Aged Care information to support your registration for services.

The two most popular programs are the Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP) for entry-level care and Home Care Packages (HCP) for more complex needs.

  • Find answers to all your questions about My Aged Care and how it works.
  • Navigate the registration/referral process to receive Vision Australia services.
  • Switch to Vision Australia services or add us to your plan if you are already connected with My Aged Care.
  • Help you understand and access services with Home Care Packages.
  • Understand the range of services and supports available to you with Vision Australia.

Ready to set up your services? You’ll need to get in contact with the My Aged Care contact centre as a first step to confirm your eligibility: 

Phone: 1800 200 422 

You will be asked questions over the phone to help work out your needs and care arrangements. This takes at least 10 minutes. You will need your Medicare card. If you are calling on behalf of someone else, they will need to be present to give their consent. 

The My Aged Care team will then arrange an assessment of what you need to remain independent at home. Then they'll create a plan for you. You can talk to the assessor about Vision Australia and choose us to be part of your plan. 

Get in touch with a My Aged Care specialist to start your journey.

What is an ACAT assessment?

An Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) assessment looks at what level of care you need and if you are eligible for government financial support.

An ACAT member will visit you and ask some questions about your health needs and lifestyle, including your physical and psychological needs, social needs and special needs. This information will be used to help determine your best care option, such as home care or residential care.

You can have a family member, friend or carer with you during your ACAT Assessment.

You can organise an ACAT assessment through your GP, hospital, or by calling My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 or applying online via the My Aged Care website.

Vision Australia services funded by My Aged Care

Vision Australia specialist low vision services can be funded through My Aged Care, including the Commonwealth Home Support Programme or Home Care Packages. Our services include allied health restorative care, help you learn new skills for everyday tasks like cooking and getting out and about in the community.

You can join Vision Australia social groups or join programs in your community with our support. Additionally, we can prescribe appropriate daily living aids, equipment and the latest technology to help you every day.

Commonwealth Home Support Program

Basic support to keep you socialising and active in the community.

Explore Home Care Packages

Tailored home care services and support for people who have trouble with their eyesight, are blind or have low vision. 

Services and support

Find out more about the kind of services and support My Aged Care can help you with. You can access these services via Commonwealth Home Support Programme or Home Care Packages. 

Technology and products

Visit our Vision Store to find what kind of technology and products My Aged Care can help you to access. Vision Australia is also an approved CHSP GEAT2GO supplier.

Frequently asked questions

To be eligible for My Aged care, you must be 65 years or older (or 50 years or older for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people). Eligibility is also based on factors like your health, how you’re managing at home, and any support you currently receive. You can find out more about eligibility for aged care services

You will need to have an assessment to access Government funded aged care services. You can get started by checking your assessment eligibility.

Yes, services provided by Vision Australia incur a cost. There are several ways you can fund the support, services and products you need including the Commonwealth Home Support Program and Home Care Packages. In some circumstances, a service will require a minimal client contribution.