On this page
Thriving with low vision
Understanding your vision condition and how to best use any of your remaining vision, can help you feel confident and enable you to live more independently. That’s why we’re committed to helping you learn strategies, discover new technology, get support, and take advantage of products designed to help you thrive.
Our team of experts is here to help, and can work with you to develop tailored techniques and routines giving you the power to live life on your terms.
Vision assessments tailored to you
From simple tips to high-level techniques, as part of Vision Australia’s low vision assessments we’ll give you the tools to make the most of your vision. We’ll cover things like:
- Breaking down what your eye condition means, and how you can best use your vision in everyday tasks.
- Explore aids and technology to identify small tasks/objects.
- Understanding the effects of glare and how to manage it.
- Figuring out the best use of lighting around your home or workplace.
- Developing techniques to help your everyday vision.
How this can help
- Knowledge is power. Having all the facts is the best way to start thriving with low vision and communicating this to others.
- Care and support. Understanding your eye condition with expert advice can open up brand new possibilities and opportunities – helping you live life on your terms.
- Safety and security. Understanding the full range of services and products available to you gives you the confidence to conquer the everyday.
- Discover products that can best assist you, such as magnifiers and reading lights or lamps, and appliances.
- Try out new technology like reading software and apps that can assist with independent living.
How this can help
- Better equipped. Finding the right product to aid your vision can increase wellbeing, social connections and find or maintain employment.
- Stay up to date. Staying current with the latest technology and techniques allows you to stay more connected and engaged with the ever-changing world.
Meet your orthoptist
The personal trainer for your eyes
Our orthoptists are qualified allied health professionals specialising in low vision who'll work with you to maximise use of your functional vision.
They will work hand in hand with your eye specialist to monitor your vision and ensure any changes are assessed and managed.