PDF files have a variety of different uses, from producing annual reports to brochureware, eBooks and many more. This workshop will help ensure your PDF documents are accessible to everyone, through learning how to create and remediate PDF files in this advanced computer-based workshop.
We’ll show you advanced accessibility techniques to remediate PDF documents, without the need for access to a source file. On completion of the workshop, you’ll know how to create PDFs that are accessible to everyone, including people with disability or impairment.
Developed in accordance with WCAG 2.1 and best practices cultivated by our team of experts, this course supports inclusive design in alignment with the Australian Government’s Digital Service Standard.
Those with a working knowledge of Adobe Acrobat will gain the most from this course, which is taught on PCs using Adobe Acrobat DC. Those who use a different version of Adobe Acrobat Pro (e.g. 10 or 11) and Mac users are encouraged to attend as the learning outcomes will be the same.
- Background to document accessibility:
- How inaccessible documents affect different disability groups
- How people use assistive technologies to read document content
- Australian legal requirements
- Applicability of WCAG 2.1 standards to electronic documents
- Techniques for accessible PDF files:
- Create, modify and check tags
- Test and correct the reading order
- Check and correct text colour contrast
- Add text alternatives for images
- Tag headings and lists
- Tag simple and complex data tables, and layout tables
- Add hyperlinks
- Add a table of contents
- Edit document properties
- Add bookmarks
- Techniques for accessible forms:
- Associate fields with labels
- Test and modify the focus order
- Apply editing restrictions
- Accessibility compliance verification:
- Accessibility checker
- Testing with assistive technologies
- Do it yourself:
- Apply remediation and testing techniques to sample documents
Note: Techniques for source document creation are covered in Creating Accessible Documents: Advanced Microsoft Office.
We encourage you to bring your own digital PDF documents to remediate in the ‘do it yourself’ session. Sample PDFs will also be provided.
You’ll receive a comprehensive manual containing:
- Step-by-step instructions on how to implement techniques using Acrobat Pro.
- The rationale for using specific techniques and positive impacts for the end-user.
- Explanations, examples, tips and tricks to help you apply accessible practices day-to-day.
2019 Course Dates and Registration
The course starts at 9.00am and finishes at 5.00pm.
From the list of locations below, click the date of the course you wish to attend. You will be redirected to our online registration page, which will provide venue details. Payment can be made online using a credit card (we will email you a tax receipt), or select ‘invoice’ to be invoiced directly from Vision Australia.
Cost and Inclusions
Prices listed are per person, including GST. Catering is provided.
- Early bird (registrations confirmed more than 21 days prior): $715
- Group rate (registrations for 4 people or more): $715
- Full price: $795
Phone: 1300 367 055
Have questions about Advanced Creating Accessible Documents: Adobe PDF? Contact Vision Australia