Vision Australia is committed to improving our environmental performance and to demonstrate good environmental practice across all our operations.
We are working towards a number of goals to reduce water and energy usage, improve waste management and promote awareness of environmental issues throughout the organisation.
Our sustainability goals are as follows:
- Comply with requirements of government legislation and regulations as applies to environmental sustainability;
- Reduce consumption of energy, water and consumables across all sites;
- Reduce waste to landfill and improve our recycling system;
- Record energy usage and provide an annual estimate of carbon emissions;
- Incorporate sustainability measures into relevant business decisions;
- Promote Vision Australia's environmental sustainability goals to staff, customers, clients and key stakeholders.
- Consistently reducing waste and increasing recycling rates at Vision Australia’s Carols by Candlelight® presented by Myer – the organisations’ largest annual public event.
- A decrease in electricity usage of 9.3% in FY12 over previous year.
- Incorporating sustainable initiatives into the design and/or refurbishment of our sites;
- Reducing our vehicle fleet and phasing out 6 cylinder in favour of 4 cylinder vehicles;
- Recycling of paper, cardboard and printer cartridges;
- Setting double sided printing as the default on all printers;
- Recycling CDs for Vision Australia's burn on demand talking book system;
- Maintaining a measures system to record energy and water usage to establish baseline data and carbon emissions produced from water, gas, electricity, fleet and travel;
- Facilitating a cross functional committee to execute our environmental sustainability plan and promote awareness within our workplace and community.
- Promoting use of tele and video conferencing as a preference to travel.