Learn the fundamentals of how to create accessible Word and PDF documents in this highly interactive computer-based workshop.
Suitable for anyone who uses Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat DC, we’ll teach you how to ensure your digital documents are accessible to everyone, including people with disability or impairment.
Developed in accordance with WCAG 2.1 and best practices cultivated by our team of experts, this course is in alignment with the Australian Government’s Digital Service Standard.
- "This training was essential to us improving our organisation’s website, form and document accessibility. Absolutely worth it! All staff should attend." Julia, Inner West Council.
- "Even for people who may not need to apply the skills, very useful for understanding the techniques and the value-add for organisations and individuals. I will be saying very good things about the workshop to providers that I work with. Thank you." Katie, NDS.
- "Excellent workshop, clear documentation and excellent trainer." An, Rubida Communications.
- "Really good workshop, a lot of detail covered in a short amount of time, and I now feel more confident completing this at work." Lauren, HOBAN Recruitment.
- "This is essential training for all organisations!" Savannah, NDS.
This highly comprehensive course was designed for a general audience – no prior knowledge of accessibility is required. Taught on PCs, a basic working knowledge of Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat is recommended.
- Background to document accessibility
- How inaccessible documents affect different disability groups
- How people use assistive technologies to access content within digital documents
- Australian legal requirements
- Applicability of WCAG 2.1 standards to electronic documents
- Techniques to create accessible electronic documents
- Use of colours
- Text format
- Techniques for accessible Word documents
- Images and alternative text
- Tables of content
- Text boxes
- Converting Word documents to PDFs
- Use the built-in PDF maker
- Configure the PDF maker for accessibility
- Test the resulting PDF for accessibility
- Advanced techniques for accessible PDF documents
- Create, modify and check tags
- Test and correct the reading order
- Associate images with alt text
- Edit document properties
- Add bookmarks
- Use the TouchUp Reading Order tool
You’ll receive a comprehensive manual containing:
- Step-by-step instructions on how to implement techniques using Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat.
- The rationale for using specific techniques and positive impacts for the end-user.
- Explanations, examples, tips and tricks to help you apply accessible practices day-to-day.
2019 Course Dates and Registration
The course starts at 9.00am and finishes at 5.00pm.
From the list of locations below, click the date of the course you wish to attend. You will be redirected to our registration page, which will provide venue details. Payment can be made online using a credit card (we will email you a tax receipt), or select ‘invoice’ to be invoiced directly from Vision Australia.
Cost and Inclusions
Prices listed are per person, including GST. Catering is provided.
- Early bird (registrations confirmed more than 21 days prior): $715
- Group rate (registrations for 4 people or more): $715
- Full price: $795
Phone: 1300 367 055
Have questions about Advance Creating Accessible Documents: Word and PDF? Contact Vision Australia