This week is National Carers Week
National Carers Week is a time to recognise and celebrate the 2.65 million Australians who provide care and support to a family member or friend.
The theme for National Carers Week 2021 is 'Millions of Reasons to Care', which aims to recognise the diverse reasons someone may be a carer.
Some facts about carers
- Carers provide unpaid care and support to family members or friends who have a disability, mental health condition, chronic condition, terminal illness, an alcohol or other drug issue or who are frail/aged
- Anyone can be a carer including children and young people
- Caring may include help and support with a range of daily activities, including dressing, showering, arranging appointments or managing medication.
Support for carers
Various supports are available for carers through Carer Gateway (link to website).
- Assistance to find and access local services and respite
- Access to individual phone counselling with a professional counsellor
- Access to an online forum to connect with other carers to share tips and connect with others who are in similar circumstances.
More information on carers and National Carers week can be found at Carers Australia (link to website).