What's on offer?
Telelink is a regular, ongoing telephone-based group program that is delivered to people who are blind or have low vision via teleconference.
It provides a regular ongoing group program offering social and peer support, special interest and recreation activities for people who are socially isolated or live some distance from a Vision Australia centre. The Telelink program is available Nationally.
How does it work?
Groups of up to 10 clients are linked together for an hour-long session. These can be held weekly, fortnightly or monthly.
Who facilitates the sessions?
A volunteer facilitator facilitates the discussion and encourages members to participate.
Facilitation training is provided for new volunteers with the Telelink program before they commence with a group.
Is special equipment needed?
No, only a landline or mobile phone is needed.
Are there any costs to join the program?
There is no cost to clients and volunteers of Vision Australia when participating in the Telelink program.
What are the types of Telelink Groups on offer?
• Types of Telelink Groups (are not limited to): General social, younger social, sport, current affairs, vision condition support – RP support, history, food Interest, crosswords, men's social, women's social, book club, iaccess users book club, younger book club, music, gardening, quiz, Bible discussion, spelling challenge, AFL tipping, parenting support, veterans support, dog guide support, trivia, mechanics, tertiary studies support, braille user support, arts/crafts/ recreational interest social support and self help.
• Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CALD) Telelink Program: Telelink groups are also available in languages other than English. The CALD groups are social. Languages include but are not limited to: Italian, Greek, Cantonese, Mandarin, Polish, Vietnamese, Spanish, and Serbian.
Does the program run all year?
The regular Telelink program operates from February to June and August to December each year.
During January and July, we offer a special interest Telelink program.
What clients say
• "The group was great this morning and I enjoyed the fun and laughter as well as the crosswords. Although the crosswords are good for the brain the laughter is also very good for the soul".
• "I would be lost without my Telelink groups each week, they mean a great deal to me and give me a sense of belonging".
• "At last! A group where we can talk 'girlie' stuff with others who can 'appreciate' and have a laugh at ourselves but also support each other when needed".
How do I join the Telelink program?
If eligible, you can refer yourself or have a family member. Medical practitioner or a community-based service refer you via Vision Australia's National Contact Centre on 1300 847 466 or email email@example.com.
For further detailes, phone 1300 847 466 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For language assistance telephone: 131 450 (Translating and Interpreting Service TIS National), and ask the operator to phone Vision Australia on 1300 847 466.