How we support your students who are blind or have low vision
Vision Australia understands the challenges that vision loss can create for students.
We visit students in your school and provide specialised vision loss services via our professional team including occupational therapists, physiotherapists and speech therapists.
How we are funded
We are funded by the Department of Education and Training, Non Schools Organisation (NSO) Program to provide specialised support and services in schools and we work with principals, teachers, students and families to provide solutions.
The difference we make
Our funding enables us to support your teachers, support staff and families so students can be fully included in education, and maintain a whole-of-class/school approach. Last year, we supported 259 schools in Queensland and provided 899 face-to-face visits, including via Skype.
Vision Australia team members that visit schools
- Assist students to gain good posture at the classroom desk which helps them listen better and learn
- Support students to learn the physical skills so they can participate in the sports that they want to, in physical education classes and on the playground
- Help students participate and learn in the classroom
- Recommend the best place for the student to sit
- Help them to organise their desk so they know where everything is
- Assist them with their pencil grip or computer typing
- Introduce them to equipment that will make learning quicker and easier
- Work with students to improve their language and literacy skills so they are engaged with all material and can reach their learning milestones
- Support students to learn conversational and social skills so they connect with their friends and peers on the playground
Orientation and mobility specialists
Equipment to loan
Students with low vision or blindness can loan specialised equipment from Vision Australia. Equipment can enhance students learning and make things easier and quicker.
For the complete list or to place a loan request call us on 1300 84 74 66.
When to refer
Refer your student if they:
- Don’t want to participate in sport or physical education class
- Sit awkwardly at their classroom desk
- Consistently ask for help in the classroom
- Complete worksheets and activities very slowly
- Have trouble reading and spelling
- Don’t want to play or are always by themselves
- Rely on other students to take them to the bathroom or lunch areas
- Have difficulty remembering how to get from one place to another
How to refer
Click here to make a referral