Bursary applications are now closed for 2016. Bursary applications for 2017 will open August 2016.
Each year, Vision Australia awards Further Education Bursaries to a select number of students who are blind or have low vision.
The bursaries provide adaptive technology to help the students fully participate and succeed in their chosen studies. Assistive technology can eliminate barriers to education and enhance access to information. It enables students to read course material, conduct research and improve their student life.
Since the inception of the bursary scheme in 1996, over 300 students have been supported in their further education journey.
Meet the 2015 and previous year’s bursary recipients.
Students of any age can apply for a Vision Australia Further Education Bursary.
- Be or become, a client of Vision Australia
- Have a current (within the last 12 months) eye report on file with Vision Australia
- Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident
- Be living or moving to Victoria, the Australian Capital Territory, New South Wales, Queensland, the Northern Territory or Tasmania
- Be enrolling to study at an institution in Victoria, ACT, NSW, Queensland, the Northern Territory or Tasmania
- Be enrolling to study in at least Certificate IV or higher accredited courses including undergraduate and postgraduate degrees (not a Foundation or Enabling course) at the start of the year or be already enrolled in such a course (preference may be given to those in the early stages of a course).
The Bursary Committee will take the following criteria into consideration when making their selection, thus Applicants are advised to address these factors in their application:
- Future goals
Potential for success in chosen courses
- Reasoning behind course selection
- Career prospects on completion of course.
- Level of achievement demonstrated in previous results
- Work experience
- Academic awards, prizes or acknowledgement
- Ability to successfully complete course.
Demonstrated need for the equipment
- Community service
- Volunteer work
- Raising a family
- Music involvements
- Sporting or other achievements.
- What if any adaptive technology have you used in the past
- What if any accommodations have you received (for example alternative format text)
- Justification of the need for any additional equipment beyond your current equipment
- Implications of not having the equipment
- Justification of the types of equipment and its benefits.
For further information, please contact Belinda Wilson, Vocational Consultant at email@example.com