The Vision Australia Further Education Bursary 2015 is now open for Applications
In 2015, Vision Australia will award Further Education Bursaries to a select number of students who are blind or have low vision.
The Bursaries provide adaptive technology to help ensure that these students can fully participate and succeed in their chosen studies.
Students of any age can apply for a Vision Australia Further Education Bursary.
- Be or become, a client of Vision Australia
- Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident
- Be living or moving to Victoria, the Australian Capital Territory, New South Wales, Queensland, the Northern Territory or Tasmania
- Be enrolling to study at an institution in Victoria, ACT, NSW, Queensland, the Northern Territory or Tasmania
- Be enrolling to study in at least Certificate IV or higher accredited courses including undergraduate and postgraduate degrees (not a Foundation or Enabling course) at the start of the year or be already enrolled in such a course (preference may be given to those in the early stages of a course).
Each year a Victorian Bursary recipient selected by our committee to have best met these criteria will also receive the Fairhall Memorial Scholarship of $150.
The Bursary Committee will take the following criteria into consideration when making their selection, thus Applicants are advised to address these factors in their application:
- Reasoning behind course selection
- Career prospects on completion of course.
2.Potential for success in chosen courses
- Level of achievement demonstrated in previous results
- Work experience
- Academic awards, prizes or acknowledgement
- Ability to successfully complete course.
- Community service
- Volunteer work
- Raising a family
- Music involvements
- Sporting or other achievements.
4.Demonstrated need for the equipment
- What if any adaptive technology have you used in the past
- What if any accommodations have you received (for example alternative format text)
- Justification of the need for any additional equipment beyond your current equipment
- Implications of not having the equipment
- Justification of the types of equipment and its benefits.
Applications are treated in the strictest confidence. All applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application. All decisions are final and no correspondence will be entered into.
How to apply
First, contact the Tertiary Education Consultant who will check your eligibility and arrange an Adaptive Technology Bursary Assessment. This Assessment is required as part of your application and no other Adaptive Technology assessment will be accepted. Phone 1300 84 74 66 and ask for the Tertiary Education Consultant. Then submit the Application form and accompanying documentation. Please ensure that you have completed all sections of the Application form.
Please print, sign and send the Declaration form after you have sent the Application form.
Application Form (Word, 237KB)
Declaration (Word, 177KB)
The following checklist will help to ensure you complete all steps required to successfully apply for a Bursary.
Checklist (Word, 174KB)
Vision Australia reserves the right to refuse incomplete applications for consideration by the Further Education Bursary committee. Any application not completed in full will not be considered for an award.
The Tertiary Education Consultant is available to assist you with certain aspects of your application. All applicants sending in a complete application will be issued with an email acknowledging receipt.
The completed application form must be submitted electronically prior to Friday 31 October by email to email@example.com. (Hardcopy or scanned versions of this form will not be accepted but accompanying documentation can be sent in whichever way is most convenient.)
All hard copy accompanying documentation (especially the signed Declaration) are to be mailed to:
Further Education Bursary
Tertiary Education Consultant
346 Macaulay Road
Kensington Vic 3031
Or fax to: 1300 84 73 29 marked “Attention Bursary.”
Or emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for applications is 31 October 2014.
All applicants will be notified of how they fared before Christmas and those short-listed for a Bursary will need to send proof of enrolment for the Bursary to actually be awarded (enrolment usually occurs in late January).
For further assistance
All applicants are entitled to a 30 minute consultation with the Tertiary Education Consultant.
To make an appointment contact:
Tertiary Education Consultant
Telephone (direct): 03 8378 1223
Toll free: 1300 84 74 66
Fax: 1300 84 73 29
Download the Bursaries poster (PDF)
Download the Bursaries poster (Word)
List of recent bursary winners