Learn how to create accessible Word and PDF documents in this highly interactive computer-based workshop.
Suitable for anyone who uses Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat Pro, we’ll teach you how to ensure your digital documents are accessible to everyone, including people with disability or impairment. Plus, you’ll gain free access to our Document Accessibility Toolbar (DAT) eLearning module!
Developed in accordance with WCAG 2.0 and best practices cultivated by our team of experts, this course is in alignment with the Australian Government’s Digital Service Standard.
- I already recommend this course to colleagues struggling with accessibility. This course should be mandatory for all officers of the public sector. (Terry, Department of Social Services)
- The workshop was great – very helpful with a well organised and clear presentation. I learned a lot that I will be able to apply right away to improve our online documents. Highly recommended! (Clare, FWC)
- Easy to understand and made many obscure WCAG 2.0 references comprehensible. Hands-on workshop really reinforced what we learned. (Jacqueline, Transport for NSW)
- I would recommend this workshop to anyone. A fantastic and enjoyable workshop that stressed the importance of accessibility in our documents, not only to adhere to governmental requirements, but to meet end-users’ needs. (Michelle, Department of Agriculture)
- The ideal how-to course on document accessibility — comprehensive and practical! (Cat, Polytechnic West)
This highly comprehensive course was designed for a general audience – no prior knowledge of accessibility is required. Taught on PCs, a basic working knowledge of Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat Pro is recommended.
- Background to document accessibility
- How inaccessible documents affect different disability groups
- How people use assistive technologies to access content within digital documents
- Australian legal requirements
- Applicability of WCAG 2.0 and PDF/UA standards to electronic documents
- Techniques to create accessible electronic documents
- Use of colours
- Text format
- Techniques for accessible Word documents
- Images and alternative text
- Tables of content
- Text boxes
- Techniques for accessible forms
- Associate fields with labels
- Test and modify the focus order
- Apply editing restrictions
- Converting Word documents to PDFs
- Use the built-in PDF maker
- Configure the PDF maker for accessibility
- Test the resulting PDF for accessibility
- Advanced techniques for accessible PDF documents
- Create, modify and check tags
- Test and correct the reading order
- Associate images with alt text
- Edit document properties
- Add bookmarks
- Use the TouchUp Reading Order tool
You’ll receive a comprehensive manual containing:
- Step-by-step instructions on how to implement techniques using Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat.
- Rationale for using specific techniques and positive impacts for the end-user.
- Explanations, examples, tips and tricks to help you apply accessible practices day-to-day.
After the course, participants will also gain free access to the DAT eLearning module!
Course dates and registration
Cost and inclusions
Prices listed are per person, including GST. Catering is provided.
- Early bird (registrations confirmed more than 21 days prior): $675
- Group rate (registrations for 4 people or more): $675
- Full price: $750
Phone: 1300 367 055