Make your content accessible for people with disabilities, and learn how to check that it meets the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0.
Suitable for web writers, editors, publishers and content managers who want to learn more about the accessibility guidelines for written and image-based content.
The course modules are:
- About accessibility: Covers web users with disabilities that may affect their use of the web; barriers to accessibility and use of assistive technologies; WCAG 2.0 standards; Australian law and policy.
- Written content: Covers how to comply with and check WCAG 2.0 success criteria 1.3.3 Sensory Characteristics and 3.1.2 Language of Parts. Includes exercises.
- Structure and formatting: Covers how to comply with and check WCAG 2.0 success criteria 1.3.1 Info and Relationships and 2.4.6 Headings and Labels. Includes exercises.
- Navigation: Covers how to comply with and check WCAG 2.0 success criteria 2.4.2 Page Titled and 2.4.4 Link Purpose. Includes exercises.
- Images: Covers how to comply with and check WCAG 2.0 success criteria 1.1.1 Non-text Content, 1.4.1 Use of Colour, 1.4.3 Contrast, 1.4.5 Images of Text, 2.3.1 Three Flashes or Below Threshold and 3.2.4 Consistent Identification. Includes exercises.
- Content formats: Covers an overview of PDF and other document formats, and pre-recorded audio and video. Includes exercises.
During the course you’ll use a netbook we supply (shared with another participant), preloaded with accessibility testing software.
- Printed course notes which include handy checklists
- Access to download presentation slides (for personal use only)
- Loads of online resources (cheat sheets, tips sheets and more)
The course is facilitated by Dey Alexander, our training partner from 4 Syllables. Dey has over 20 years’ experience on web projects. Her current work is a mix of content strategy, user experience and inclusive design.
Comments from some of our participants
- This workshop really hit the nail on the head for me. I’ve tried to read the WCAG guidelines, but they’re really overwhelming. Nice to have someone explain it all.
- Essential information for any web writer or content owner. Should be a requirement of any web writing role to attend this course.
- WCAG 2.0 has been reviewed and digested for me. Saved me a lot of time and brought me up to speed.
- I really enjoyed this workshop and will definitely use what I learnt in my work.
- Really helped me to navigate WCAG and identify what was important to my role as a writer/editor.
Course dates and registration
Training dates for 2017 coming soon! Subscribe to the Digital Access eNewsletter to be notified when new dates are available.
Cost and inclusions
Prices listed are per person, including GST. Catering is provided.
- Early bird (registrations confirmed more than 21 days prior): $675
- Group rate (registrations for 4 people or more): $675
- Full price: $750
Phone: 1300 367 055